The sponge cake Fabiola a real delight of Altea
Would you like a typical sweet from Altea, Alicante? We suggest you to try the sponge cake Fabiola, spongy, soft and simply delicious and… For real coconut fans! Discover a different sponge cake to break the routine and surprise your family and friends.
The sponge cake Fabiola step by step
For the cake:
6 large eggs
250 g flour
200 g sugar
75 g grated coconut
75 g of ground peeled almonds
A pinch of salt
Grated coconut for sprinkling
Butter to grease a baking tin
For the syrup:
Half a glass of water
Just over half a glass of sugar
Half a glass of Mistela or Muscat wine
How to make the sponge cake:
– First of all: preheat the oven at 180 ºC.
– Beat the egg whites with the remaining sugar until stiff peaks form.
– Separately beat the yolks with the rest of the sugar for a couple of minutes.
– Add coconut and ground almonds to the egg yolk paste.
– Add the egg whites little by little so that they do not fall off.
– Add the flour with a sieve.
– Gently mix everything so that the dough and the egg whites do not fall off.
– Grease a baking tin with butter and put the mixture in.
– Bake in the oven for about 35-40 minutes.
Making the syrup:
Simply put all the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer on a low heat. Stir occasionally until a syrup forms.
– When the cake is cold, remove from baking tin.
– Make a few holes and soak it in syrup with a kitchen brush.
– Let it stand for half an hour so that it takes the syrup well and sprinkle with grated coconut.
If you want a new and different sponge cake recipe, go for the Fabiola from Altea, Alicante. A recipe suitable even for those who are clueless about pastry making!
Photo source: http://www.pixabay.com
Name of image author: © silviarita